Zuideinde in Grootschermer
Grootschermer was in earlier times the Zuideinde of Schermer or Zuid- Schermer and was created in the last half of the 13th century in the embanking of the so-called inner meadows.
The village church dates from 1763 and replaced a church from 1651. Originally there was a chapel on this spot, which fell under the old Schermer. In the church is a very special pulpit.
The small courthouses in the village are those of the banne Zuid-Schermer (1639) and those of the banne Noord-Schermer (1652). In 1938 the two old law-courts of Grootschermer were merged into one council- and courthouse. The courthouse of Noord-Schermer was demolished brick by brick and rebuilt in reverse order behind the town hall of Zuid-Schermer. In the town hall of Grootschermer a plaque has been placed with a fishing herring tube, referring to the seafaring history of the Schermereiland.
Polder de Beemster: Unesco World Heritage
In the seventeenth century Jan Adriaanszoon Leeghwater drained several lakes in North Holland to the current polders, including the adjacent Schermer and the first polder de Beemster (1612), now Unesco World Heritage.
Defence line of Amsterdam
In the Beemster you will find a second Unesco World Heritage: the Defense Line of Amsterdam is represented with five forts. A sixth fort is in Markenbinnen.
The nearby Fort at Spijkerboor can be visited and Edam also has a fort that is open regularly. At Fort Resort Beemster you can relax luxuriously and enjoy sauna and wellness.
Even more beautiful in the immediate vicinity …
- Schermerhorn is close to the Schermermolens with the Grote Kerk and the Kleinste Huisje, here you can see how the growers lived around 1900
- Nic Jonk sculpture garden in Grootschermer
- The town hall of Graft
- The Smallest Candy Shop in the Netherlands, Bram and Aagie in Graft
- Museum Gemaal Wilhelmina in the Land van Leeghwater, Schermerhorn
…or something furder away
- Amsterdam is half an hour away by car and from De Rijp every hour a bus goes directly to the capital
- Alkmaar: Hollands Kaas Museum; Stedelijk Museum Alkmaar; Beer Museum De Boom; Beatles Museum; canal tour and walking tours through the historic city center
Every year in June there is the Alkmaar four-day event with different distances.
- Zaanse Schans
- Hoorn: Museum of the 20th century, VOC ship Halve Maan, Museum Steam tram Hoorn-Medemblik, Westfries Museum; city tour with the Hop-on-hop-off bus or a cruise of the Oostereiland; cheese market every Thursday afternoon from 15 June to 31 August
- Both Hoorn and Alkmaar have a swimming pool and an ice rink
- Den Helder: Oude Rijkswerf and Museumhaven Willemsoord, Lichtschip Texel, make the crossing to Texel and rent a bike, trip on the Wadden Sea, Fort Kijkduin and Fort Erfprins